OVERVIEW: The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides funds to reduce the loss of life and property due to natural disasters and to enable mitigation measures to be implemented during the immediate recovery from a disaster. Grants given through the states to local governments are used to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures that provide a long-term solution to a specific risk. For example, the grant could be used to elevate flood-prone homes or businesses, thus allowing floodwater to flow under the house rather than through it. FEMA will pay up to 75% of the project cost, while the remaining 25% must be funded through the state, local government applicants or individual property owners. In-kind services and materials can be used.
TIMETABLE: Funding is only available following an official presidential disaster declaration; however projects can be planned prior to such an event.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Local governments, tribes and some non-profits submit projects to the lead state agency. FEMA encourages applicants to use their approved hazard mitigation plan goals and strategies to guide HMGP projects. State government then selects applications based on predetermined priorities set forth in a disaster-specific Mitigation Strategy to send to FEMA for final approval.
TAGS: declared disaster only, long term